What is a Corporate Book?
When you own your own business, it is important to keep all records of the company together. In fact, it is required by law in California to keep your corporate book up to date at all times. A Corporate Book is an official record keeping book that holds all the corporation’s documents.
Corporate records help show that the corporation is operating appropriately and in compliance with state regulations. It is extremely useful when needing to pull out copies or records on your business.
Here are some examples of documents to include in your corporate book:
- Articles of Incorporation – Initial filing documents filed with California Secretary of State to formally establish your business. Please click here for more information about filing your Articles of Incorporation.
- Employer Identification Number – Filed through the IRS to obtain your EIN. You may file it via mail, fax, or online.
- Annual Statement of Information – Filed annually to keep your business information up to date with the Secretary of State. It is due in the month that your business was incorporated in. Failure to file your Statement of Information by result in a $250 fine and a suspended status. Please click here for more information.
- Bylaws – A set of regulation made by officers and/or directors on your business.
- Minutes of the First Meeting
- Annual Minutes of Shareholder’s Meetings
- Stock Certificate Ledger – Records stock issuance.
- Business License and Permits
- Opening Bank Accounts
- Contracts – Agreements between the business and vendors or customers. Make sure to have all agreements written for reference.
- Benefit Plans
- Financial Statements
Please keep in mind that every business’s corporate book will be different. With different industry comes a different way running a business. All important documents supporting the business’s existence should be kept on record. Find out how we can help you get your corporate book off to a great start. Call us at (916) 480-1225 or click here to have one of our agents contact you!