agent for service of processWhat is an Agent for Service of Process and why do I need one?

An Agent for Service of Process is an individual or a corporation that is designated to accept court papers if a business is sued. This person will also receive paperwork if the corporation or LLC has failed to file a Statement of Information with the California Secretary of State.

Note: A corporation can not act as it’s own Agent for Service of Process. For a corporation to act as an agent it must be registered with the California Secretary of State as a 1505 corporation. If using a corporation as your agent, do not fill in the corporations address on any forms.

Can DBS act as my Agent?
Yes – we can act as your Agent, we charge $150 per year for this service.

Click here to have one of our Filing Experts contact you.

Can I be my own Agent for Service of Process? Can I have a friend or employee be my agent?

Yes you can. However, the agent must meet the requirements:
1. The individual is over the age of 18. If using another Corporation they must be registered as a 1505 corporation with the state.
2. They must have a physical address in the state of California. They must be willing to have this address be public record.
3. They should be present at the physical address Monday through Friday during normal business hours.
4. They should be reliable and dependable. If they move they are required to file a new Statement of Information with their current address. (Note: If the Statement of Information is not due this can cost $350 + courier fees.)

For more information click here.